- Show and Tell – Encourage each child to bring something in to class on a chosen school day. For example, Friday could be toy day, where children bring in their favourite toys to talk about to their class friends.
- Circle Time – This can involve anything such as playing group games like eye spy, or it can involve an object which each child has to try and describe, this is great for building team building as children love to help each other.
- Weather Helper – Each day choose one child to describe the weather for that day, they can all take it in turns on different days. This encourages them to talk about the different things they will experience each day throughout their lives.
- Group Reading – Choose a book for the term and read it together as a group. Each child will become familiar with the book characters, it will also promote and encourage reading which is vital in early year’s development as it helps to build speech, language and listening skills.
- Group Singing – Nursery rhymes are a fantastic way to get children involved and communicating. Singing also teaches them how to listen and move to the music, it is fun and all children will get involved.
Working on communication skills in early years builds the foundations needed for their future school years, and the rest of their lives. Without these skills children will find it hard to reach their full potential.
Communication skills are crucial for young children, it determines their powers of thinking and understanding. It also makes them feel good about themselves and the two things are intertwined – feeling good about yourself and feeling confident enough to develop your thinking and understanding.
We are UK suppliers of classroom furniture predominantly for the early years' age groups in primary schools, pre-schools, playgroups and nurseries. Here at ELF we pride ourselves on offering great value, quality products backed up by a reliable and flexible service.
For more information on any of our early learning products please contact us or call our sales team on 01733 511121.